Thursday, November 1, 2012

Her Game, His Rules Book Tour and Review




 Her Game, His Rules
Author:
Piper Shelly
ISBN:  978-1937329631
ASIN: B0096SDPD6
Release Date: September 8th 2012
Format: Ebook ARC
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Young Adult,
Paranormal Romance






Summary
She’s seventeen. She’s snarky. She’s trouble…

It wasn’t nicking an expressive watch or diamond bracelet that landed Jona Montiniere in the clutches of the police. It was just a darn sweater. After a spectacular, failed escapade, she is forced to return to a mother who spurned her. Jona is furious about the judge’s decision—until she meets her mother’s companion. Gorgeous, provocative, and mysterious, Julian is everything her lonely heart desires. But then he awakens her mother from the dead with a simple touch.
Hunting for the truth in a strange new home, Jona unearths broken promises and bitter secrets. Soon she realizes she’ll once again lose someone she loves…unless she gives him a reason to stay. But how the hell do you keep an angel earthbound?

Review


I have never read something like this before that includes an angel. I enjoyed every moment of this book from start to finish.

This book first takes place in England, where a girl named Jona lived at a orphanage. Later after appearing before a Judge she is told that she has to go and stay with her mother. She is then taken to France to live with her mom, Aunt and Uncle at a vineyard.

The story centers around Jona, who for at least 12 years of her life she lived in an orphanage after being abandoned there by her mother. She has always held a grudge and hateful feelings towards her mother. After getting caught stealing a sweater, she is taken to court to hear her sentence. She thought that she would face a fine or minor jail time,  until she sees her mother. Of course, Jona freaks out and tries to run out of the court room, but is caught by police officers. She wants nothing to do with her mother, but found she can’t escape when the judge says she has to go with her back to France. Jona isn’t happy and would rather go to prison then with her mother. Her mother isn’t the only thing that Jona notices. She also notices a tall, god like man standing beside her mother.  She learns later that his name is Julian and he is a caretaker of her mother, who is sick. They all travel back to France, and when they arrived at the vineyard she is surprised by how friendly her Aunt and Uncle are. She never had this growing up, and she didn’t know how to react. Over time she learns to live with her new family, but ignores her mother all together. She won’t speak or go near her mother, but she found that she loves to hang out with Julian. Right away she notices something different about him, but she doesn’t know what. She only knows that he takes care of her mother and seems to bring life to her. It’s not till the very end that he tells her who and what he is, and that’s the problem.

The romance it’s not too slow, but not too fast either, though Jona and Julian only knew each other for three weeks. She didn’t let herself feel more towards him till the last week they were together. In that time frame, Julian worked hard to open her heart to him. He knew that they might not be able to be together ,but he still fell for her. Jona as well, though she told herself that she should never love anyone for fear that they will hurt her. In the end, but she couldn’t help but fall for Julian. She couldn’t say those three words to him, and it almost cost them to be together because of her stubbornness.

Jona is nothing like a first imagined her to be. She loves causing trouble when she lived at the orphanage, stealing clothes or even running away. She also loves to be sarcastic and has no remorse for the way she treats her mother. She ignores her mother and doesn’t listen to a word she says.  It’s Julian that helps her change her view on the world. She falls for him fast, and trusts him enough to let him try to conquer her fears of heights. As you read the story, you see the change in Jona as she spends more and more time with Julian. He opens her heart bit by bit, and by the end she has her chance with her mother.

Julian is not like any angel you would think of him being. He serious about his job to Jona’s mother, but with Jona he loves to tease her and find ways to get her to react to him. He tries everything from getting her to sit with him on the balcony, to finding games to play in the vineyard. What I love most is that this angel falls for a human girl even though he shouldn’t. He can’t help but fall for her, and its because of that he spends even more time with her. He does keep secrets from Jona, as he can’t reveal who he is to her. In the end he does show her who he is and he is nothing what she expect him to be.

Rating

5 out of 5 Howling Wolves

 
Short Excerpt
He was so infuriating, and I was absolutely not charmed…okay, maybe just a little…

“Hi,” he said with a compassionate look that made me wish the traitor, Quinn, had taken off those damn handcuffs so I wouldn’t look like a complete idiot.
Lips pressed together, my fingers waggled in a feeble greeting. The mere sight of him sent a quiver of excitement to my stomach.
He nodded his chin at my tied hands. “They seem rather uncomfortable.”
And they bloody well were, but I shrugged it off like it was nothing unusual. “The latest fashion. You heard the judge, I wear them quite often.”
A teasing smile played around his lips that spiked my blood pressure. “Shall we take them off?” he said.
He must be kidding. “Unless you’ve got teeth like a hacksaw, I don’t see how that would work.”
Grin widening, he pulled out a key-ring from his pocket. He squatted, leveled his eyes with mine, and shook the ring in front of my face. The friendly jingle of metal filled the high hallway.
My mouth sagged open. “Where did you get these from?”
“Chief Madison.”
“You stole them from Quinn?” I pulled my hands reflexively out of his reach.
“Of course not.” The blond god gave me a pointed look. “I asked for them.”
“Quinn wouldn’t unshackle me when I asked him to.”
His intense blue eyes locked with mine. “I had to solemnly swear to keep an eye on you. Now hold still.” Cool fingers curled around my wrist to fix my hand while he unlocked the first cuff. Sparks tingled on my skin, my hand trembled slightly.
With a click, the other cuff came off. I flexed my hands and rubbed my burning wrists.
“Better?” He tilted his head and arched one beautiful brow.
My head bobbed, but I found no breath to answer.
“Okay then.” He used my knees to push himself up and stretched to his full height.
He probably expected a thanks following his selflessness. My gaze focused on the ripped hems of his jeans, my lips remained sealed.
When he turned on his heel and marched off to the left, I glanced up. “And now you’re going where?” The words shot out before I could stop myself.
“Bathroom break.” His arched brows dared me to object.
My lower lip threatened to pop from between my teeth as I chewed on it. Don’t speak! “But you’re supposed to keep an eye on me.”
After studying me for a couple of seconds, his expression softened even more. “You’re not going to get me into trouble.”
I let him take another stride away from me. Two. Three. Four. “How can you be so sure?” Shut the hell up, Jona. “After everything you know about me, I’ll probably be gone when you get back.”
A shrug of one shoulder and his beguiling smile struck me silent. “I trust you.”


Author
Did you know that this word scares me more than anything? About… Wherever you go, people want you to tell what a cool life you lead just because you’re an author. But really, there’s nothing special to say about me, except maybe that I write a little more than others normally do. I married my teenage-love, we do our best to raise our ten-year-old to a kind and caring young man, and my cat loves to sleep in my bed, forcing me to bend to the strangest positions at night, just so she can sprawl comfortably on the blanket. I like pizza. And occasionally I talk to angels, but seriously, in these times, who doesn’t…?

So all in all, I dare say I’m leading a pretty normal life.

Of course it will all change the day my book follows the act of Harry Potter, and I’ll become richer than the Queen. I swear I’ll never again clean my windows myself then. Yeah, one day, ha ha…





3 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah, thanks a bunch for hosting my novel today. I can't wait to read your review...hope you're enjoying the story. :-)

    Piper

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.s. I love your review!!
    Think you could post it on Goodreads for anyone to see?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm doing that now since I got the edit version ^^ Thank you for liking the review!

      Delete