Thursday, April 19, 2012

Fever by Lauren DeStefano Review




Fever
Author: Lauren DeStefano
ISBN: 144240907X (ISBN13: 9781442409071)
Release Date: February 21st 2012
Format : Hardcover
Pages: 341
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Post Apocalyptic,
  Dystopia , Science Fiction








Summary
Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind.

Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.

The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.

In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever.

My Thoughts on the Book

I will mention this first before I go on with the review. I do like this series somewhat. It's a interesting take on the future and the lives of women. I do like how Rhine finds a bit of happiness in believing her brother is out there maybe looking for her and that she has Gabriel with her. It's great that they have each other to lean on and that they take care of each other.


Now onto the real review, this book was just as annoying as the first book. It's so morbid I can't help but feel so damn depress. The way women are treated in this book just gets to me so much and I don't want to read this book but I have to read it to know what happens next.

The book takes off where 'Wither' left off of, they escape and end up in a new place. They don't know where they are but they take off thinking they were officially free and that they somehow needed to get to Rowan Rhine's brother. Though they are soon captured and brought to a type of carnival where again girls are treated unfairly from a first generation and they have to work for money whether its sex or just dancing. I can't believe that no matter where Rhine goes she's always treated poorly and nothing she does is going to help her escape this. Not to mention she feels bad through out the book that she is dragging Gabriel through this when he knew nothing of the real world. He doesn't care though even when he is beaten he doesn't care and just want to be around her and protect Rhine.

I don't even know if they have sex or not! it skips so much I don't know if they did it or not. It leaves you guessing on what they did while in that cage. I hate this fact because I do love them as a couple but if I can't guess what they did or didn't do this is just useless to me.

Then there is the huge filler near the ending and middle of the book. Where most of the time Rhine was so out of it, it was all about her feeling sick and not being able to do anything. I just didn't think there was a point to it. It just made me feel even more depressed about everything that was going on in the book. Then
Vaughn finds her and takes her back to the house. Through out the book he kept finding her and I just, I hate that man. If I was in this book I probably would have killed myself then suffer from him. It's just to sad I got so depress every time he shows up especially at the end when he took her and she didn't get the chance to warn Gabriel or nothing. I just don't know how she can be normal by the end of this book. I can only see her as damage after everything she's been through.

Design


Another beautiful cover, same person on the front too which is pretty. I love how the cover is incorporated throughout the book. It has all those small circle designs and it's just pretty. Then you have the the items inside the circles all over the cover. It.s just really pretty I love the scene. Over all it's just a really well design cover and I can't wait to see the last cover.






Overall
If I knew this book would be this depressing I probably never would have read it. Though since I've read it I have to keep reading to know how it ends.


Rating
3 out of 5 Howling Wolves


No comments:

Post a Comment